- Journalism: Write articles for web sites, magazines and newspapers on wide range of topics
- Business: Write profiles, reports, book proposals, indexes and critiques
- Creative: Write manuscripts for popular fiction novels (two completed, one published), poetry (won the MSVU Art Prompts Writing competition for this poem), blog (won MSVU Best Blogger award for this post), creative nonfiction, short stories
- Nonfiction: Perform substantive editing, copy-editing, proofreading and indexing of non-fiction materials at all stages of development
- Fiction: Work with authors on manuscript development
- Academic: Perform academic editing of grant proposals, theses and papers for graduate students and professors ensuring overall readability and grammatical accuracy, as well as making sure formatting and references match style requirements.
- Manage media relations for clients including media training and writing for the media audience
- Teach writing workshops to primary and junior high, high school and post-secondary students
- Manage development of books from conception through to publishing and promotion
- Plan events including professional development seminars and business networking events
- Consult on messaging, tone, image and effectiveness of communication materials
- Serve on boards and committees
Rates are by written word, hour or project and can be negotiated.
Take as Directed
“Your Prescription for Safe Health-Care in Canada”
Published by ECW Press of Toronto, September 2010
For this project I used my expertise in health journalism and connections to industry leaders to manage editorial direction, write the book proposal, secure a national publisher, plan and source content, copy-edit chapters, and consult with the publisher on design and promotion. In its first week in book stores, Take as Directed became Nova Scotia's top selling non-fiction book. It has since sold more than 10,000 copies.